[CONTACT]

[ABOUT]

[POLICY]

Amoebas devour the brains of

Found at: gopher.erb.pw:70/roman/phlog/109.txt

Amoebas devour the brains of bathers

A child from the Californian city of Teheim, after swimming
in a freshwater lake, suffered from a fatal brain infection - 
primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, according to the Teheim
County Health Agency. The infection was caused by the amoeba
Naegleria fowleri. This is only the tenth such case in California
since 1971, authorities say. Naegleria fowleri live in warm
freshwater bodies of water - rivers, lakes, hot springs. When
swallowed, amoebas are not dangerous, but if water gets into the
nose with them, they can get along the olfactory nerve to the brain
and destroy its tissues. The only way to be sure to avoid
contamination is to avoid swimming in fresh water. When swimming,
it is recommended not to immerse your head in water or use a nose
clip. Symptoms of amoebic meningoencephalitis appear 1-10 days
after infection. Severe headache, fever, nausea and vomiting appear
first. In the later stages, confusion, convulsions, hallucinations, and
stiff neck muscles are observed. The child's chances of recovery
are not reported. It is known that less than 3% of people survive
after Naegleria fowleri brain damage.


AD: